Monday, July 21, 2008

week of 7/14-7/18

Monday: 9:30-1:00
Tuesday: 10-4
Wednesday: 9:30-4
Thursday: 12:30-4
Friday: 9:30-12:30
Total: 22.5

Monday
Today was my first day in the compliance department. When I came in, I spoke with the director, Heather Lee about some of the work I would be doing. One of the first things I did after speaking with Heather was to assist one of the compliance assistants with determining which athletes interested in Campbell had been cleared by the Clearinghouse. If they weren't cleared, we had to determine what they were missing. After that, I spent a lot of time filing athletic scholarship letters. These were all of the letters informing student-athletes of the amount of athletic aid they were receiving. They were also informed of whether or not their amount of aid had been increased, decreased, or completely taken away. There were approximately 300 or so of these letters, so they took a little while for me to finish filing. This afternoon I had an eye-doctors appointment, so I had to head out a little bit early from work.

Tuesday
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am still spending some time in sales and marketing because of my internship project. The major thing we had going on today was a meeting with the student coordinator(s) for Campbell's FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes). His name is Josh Kimball, he was a student-athlete here at Campbell an is involved with the leadership of that organization here at Campbell, we also met with another member involved with leadership her name was Heidi Shallow, and she is also a student-athlete here at Campbell. Their primary reason for wanting to meet with us was to see if they could somehow become involved with some promotions during games, and to also find out what exactly they would be permitted to do during games. But they really wanted to find out how to really reach out to students and get them interested in coming to athletic events at Campbell. Because to be quite honest, there is not a lot to do in Buies Creek on the weekends. It was a good meeting because by the end we had really gotten them interested in possibly sponsoring some nights at the soccer games, and helping/hosting some promotions during half-times at different games. They also had some ideas that really helped us get our wheels turning as far as things to do at games. For example, we have been trying to find people to sing the national anthem at games, and they have access to a lot of people who can sing well. Also, they were interested in finding people to pray at games, considering Campbell is a Baptist school, and it would be done by someone regardless of whether or not they planned it. Hopefully this meeting will benefit us in the fall and help us with planning some promotions. The purpose of this meeting pertained directly to my internship project, so I was excited when we were done. After the meeting we printed off camp orders and took them to the business manager and headed out for the day.

Wednesday
Wednesdsay I was back in the Compliance department. I spent my morning going through softball stats to find out which of the players had used a year of eligibility this past season and which ones had not. This actually took me a little longer than I had expected because there was only one girl who didn't play at all this season. Everyone else's name I found pretty quickly, but I had to wade through the stats for every game just to make sure this girl didn't play at all this season. Then I had to fill out an eligibility list with all of the girls names on it so we can keep track of their eligibility for the next four years. In the afternoon I typed up a roster for a PE class the University is starting with every single freshman and transfer student-athlete's name on it. I believe this class is essentially designed to teach these student-athletes time management, etc. This took a little while because I had to go through the list and type in all of their student id numbers, meeting times, etc. There were upwards of 100 students to put into this roster, so typing all that information in took a little while.

Thursday
Back in sales and marketing today-I was told not to come in until 12:30 because they were in a meeting at the time I normally come in. Major activities today included a meeting with the new volleyball coaches to talk about some promotions for the fall. Again, this pertained directly to my internship project as far as planning promotional activities for the marketing plan. Nothing has ever been done with Volleyball in the past, so anything we do this year will be brand new, and hopefully it will establish a precedent for years to come. Planning activities for this year in volleyball will be a little tricky because they will be spending the first few games of their season in the old gym, and then they will be moving over to the new facility, which will make doing some of the promotions easier. Again, there are some limitations to what we can do in the new gym, simply because it is a new facility, and for various other reasons as well. I feel as though the meeting was very productive, and the new coaches were very excited about getting some things going, and even told us about some ideas they had been throwing around with each other. They really like a lot of the ideas that Drew and I thought up, and had some more that they had been thinking about. They both came from schools that had a large Greek life, and Campbell has no Greek life what so ever, so they are used to having large numbers of student support, and hope to be able to raise that support here at Campbell over the next couple of years.
After the meeting I went through all of the sponsors from this year and last and put together a list of their "Total Sponsorship Packages" including both trade and cash. This will help us determine in the future what "level" Camel Club member they are. There are different levels depending on the amount of money spent sponsoring Campbell athletics.

Friday
Friday was a very short day. Heather was out of the office, and a lot of the things they wanted me to do for some reason I could not get access to. When it came down to it, I worked on creating a sign-in sheet for study hall for all of the freshman and transfer athletes. All freshmen and transfers are required to have a certain number of study hall hours, in addition to stuedents who do no meet the GPA requirements to participate. They have had problems in the past concerning this because they would have one piece of paper per student athlete for four weeks. They were wasting a lot of paper and time adding up the number of hours the athletes were accruing. Certain teams even had one piece of paper per player per week. My job was to find a way to fit the entire team into one document instead of having individual sign-in sheets for each athlete. With the football team last year they were taking upwards of 80 sign-in sheets weekly. I formatted one that allows them to fit an entire team into one document and will save them a lot of time and paper.

No comments: